These puzzles appeared in Issue 01 of the magazine.
#2 – Circles
Pictured are: a quarter circle with radius 2r, and two semi circles with radius r.
Prove that the pink area is equal to the green area.
#104 – Two Triangles
In the diagram, the three sides of a triangle have been split into thirds, then the lines have been added.
What is the area of the smaller shaded triangle as a fraction of the area of the large triangle?
You might also like…
- What have we been up to this year?
- As the festive season strikes again, we'll be dishing out more fiendish puzzles – this time with prizes!
- Cardioids in coffee cups, counting with three fingers, and breakfast at Villani's.Plus the return of all your favourite fun pages.
- Win £100 of Maths Gear goodies by solving our famously fiendish crossnumber
- Prof. Dirichlet tackles archaeology and supercomputers in answering your personal problems
- "R" you a Matlab or a Python? Fortran or Mathematica? Find out which package suits you best.