These puzzles appeared in Issue 01 of the magazine.
#2 – Circles
Pictured are: a quarter circle with radius 2r, and two semi circles with radius r.
Prove that the pink area is equal to the green area.
#104 – Two Triangles
In the diagram, the three sides of a triangle have been split into thirds, then the lines have been added.
What is the area of the smaller shaded triangle as a fraction of the area of the large triangle?
You might also like…
- Surprise yourself by making this thing
- Swing on a magnetic pendulum into our latest issue. Topological tic-tac-toe, maths, cake, categories, plus all your favourite regulars.
- Win £100 of Maths Gear goodies by solving our famously fiendish crossnumber
- See what we're doing this October to promote and celebrate diversity in mathematics
- Are you perfect or imaginary? Are you a square?
- Village fetes, Brexit and flowers are among the topics of discussion in this issue's Dear Dirichlet advice column