Issue 05 was released on 7 March 2017. Enjoy the articles online or scroll down to view the magazine as a PDF.
- We chat to the chief scientific advisor to the Home Office about the role of scientists and mathematicians in politics
- Rediscover linear algebra by playing with circuit diagrams
- Explain the strange dynamics of certain insects using game theory
- Fermat's Last Theorem with complex powers, wrapped in a story every mathematician can relate to
- When slide rules used to rule... find out why they still do
- Factorisation is often used in cryptography. But there's something even simpler which turns out to be just as hard.
- Folding origami, building networks, making projections and multiple dimensions!
- What is the real story behind the lady with the lamp?
- Mary Somerville fights against social mores to become one of the leading mathematicians of her time.
- Read more about the fire-breathing curves that appear on the cover of issue 05
- Win £100 of Maths Gear goodies by solving our famously fiendish crossnumber
- Mathematical fashion advice for an ever-changing world
- Prof. Dirichlet tackles political arguments and werewolves in answering your personal problems
- Part 4 of our mathematical comic's adventure
- Solve the puzzles that appeared in Issue 05.
- How to model bread making!
- Are you feeling ideal? In your prime? Discover your inner mathematical object (plus handy term explainer).
- Make calculations easy with this simple-to-make slide rule
- The definitive chart of the circle's greatest parts
- Vote for your favourite geometry instrument
- The answers to the puzzles that appeared in issue 05
More from Chalkdust
- Twitch streaming, abacuses and Pascal's secrets feature in our AW23 issue! Plus all your favourite puzzles & columns.
- Can you solve it?
- Today's weather: seasonal, highs of π/18.
- And more importantly, are you on the A-level formula sheet?
- Can you solve it?
- The undisputed chart of the best mathematical games this season