Issue 13 was released on 1 May 2021. Enjoy the articles online or scroll down to view the magazine as a PDF.
To celebrate the launch of Issue 13, we encouraged readers to make some art inspired by cellular automata. Read more here.
- Sophie Maclean and David Sheard speak to a very top(olog)ical mathematician!
- Madeleine Hall explores the sometimes counterintuitive consequences of conditional probability to our everyday lives.
- Sophie explores the fascinating mathematics behind the games Mafia and Among Us.
- Paddy Moore levels the score
- Francisco Berkemeier takes a look at the mathematics behind elections, and the Electoral College, in the United States of America.
- Discover the meaning of the coloured squares on the cover of issue 13
- The story of an unforgettable mathematician.
- Johannes Huber explores the maths behind how image compression works.
- Aryan Ghobadi gives a maths lecture at a zoo
- We hear arguments for and against this controversial convention
- Have your say
- Fashion is fleeting, Chalkdust regulars are not.
- Are you binary? Roman numerals? The decimals? Find out by answering a maximum of ∞ easy questions
- Parishoners, partners and puzzled playwrights have written in to the professor's postbox this issue
- £100 of Maths Gear goodies to be won if you can solve it
- How big is the biggest cow?
- The definitive chart of the best buttons
- Looking for a challenge? Try our cryptic crossnumber—with hints and tips so anyone can have a go!
More from Chalkdust
- Squid Game, hidden harmonies and DnD coming your way in our brand new issue! Plus all your favourite puzzles & columns.
- Win a £100 Maths Gear goody bag by solving our infamous puzzle
- Weddings, holidays and catfish find their way into the prof's postbox this issue.
- Can you solve it?
- Are you β? Are you γ?
- We announce the winner of this coveted prize