These puzzles appeared in Issue 03 of the magazine.
You start at A and are allowed to move either to the right or upwards.
How many different routes are there to get from A to B?
Source: Thinking Mathematically by John Mason, Leone Burton & Kaye Stacey
It was once claimed that there are 204 squares on a chessboard. Can you justify this claim?
You might also like…
- Ride a phantom parabola into our latest issue. Billiards, maths, tiles, mistakes, plus all your favourite regulars.
- Coffee, Brexit and badgers are among the topics of discussion in this issue's Dear Dirichlet advice column
- Mystic mug has some predictions for you...
- The definitive chart of the best Chalkdust regulars
- Your guide to creating the optimal homepage
- Fashion is fleeting, Chalkdust regulars are not.