These puzzles appeared in Issue 03 of the magazine.
You start at A and are allowed to move either to the right or upwards.
How many different routes are there to get from A to B?
Source: Thinking Mathematically by John Mason, Leone Burton & Kaye Stacey
It was once claimed that there are 204 squares on a chessboard. Can you justify this claim?
More from Chalkdust
- We reveal the solutions to our Christmas puzzles!
- Puzzle #3 in our 2020 Christmas puzzle series
- Puzzle #2 in our 2020 Christmas puzzle series
- Puzzle #1 in our 2020 Christmas puzzle series
- Now available to catch up on YouTube
- Independent Sage's Christina Pagel, hyperbolic mindfulness and make-your-own Markov tweet feature in our latest edition. Plus all your favourite puzzles & columns.