Maths is a fickle world. Stay à la mode with our guide to the latest trends.
HOT Mathematical crochet
Hyperbolic surfaces! Klein bottles! Impress fellow passengers with your DIY manifolds!
[Picture: Flickr user Pandaeskimo, CC BY-NC 3.0]
NOT Paper Möbius strips
As Dirichlet says, Möbius strips should be band.
HOT Dirichlet’s counting problem
Still unsolved since Issue 03.
NOT Fermat’s Last Theorem
More like Fermat’s Worst Theorem. We get it: Wiles solved it… in 1995! Next!
[Picture: Klaus Barner, CC BY-SA 3.0]
HOT Comic books about maths
Who wouldn’t want to look at drawings of Hilbert, Feynman, Lovelace & Babbage with speech bubbles?
[Picture: Tom Hockenhall]
NOT Films about maths
Oh look, the socially awkward man with wild hair has locked himself away to draw on windows… SEEN IT!
HOT Gravitational waves
1916: predicted; 2016: discovered. Einstein: always right.
[Picture: Alejandro Mos Riera, CC BY-SA 3.0]
NOT Katrina and the Waves
How do you even walk on sunshine? Light has no mass… or does it??
Is there a new teacher who doesn’t ❤️ this? Plot away with this free software for all platforms.
[Picture: by permission]
Autograph repair, Autograph REPLACED.
- Agree? Disagree? Let us know on Twitter @chalkdustmag, at facebook.com/chalkdustmag or at firstname.lastname@example.org
You might also like…
- "Unlocking the hidden mathematics in video games"
- Learn how to model your heart one beat at a time ❤️
- Belgin plays a classic mathsy game from her childhood...in 16-bit graphics! Here's her review...
- You can un-knot a knot, by cutting it not?
- Why do surnames die out? We take a look at the Galton-Watson process for modelling the extinction of surnames to answer the question: 'When will we all be Smiths?'
- Did you solve it?