You will need
- rubber bands
1. Cut out a card circle whose diameter is the length of an unstretched rubber
band. Use pins to attach everything together, as shown above.
2. Drag the lower rubber band around to investigate catastrophe theory.
More from Chalkdust
- 21 simple steps to draw your own Islamic pattern!
- Computational proofs, AI music and embarrassing surveys feature in our latest edition. Plus all your favourite puzzles & columns.
- Can you solve it?
- Letter writing, hospital visits, and getting the family active are among the topics of discussion in this issue's Dear Dirichlet advice column
- How do you like your numbers? Prime? Positive but infinitely small? Find out which famous mathematician you are
- Fashion is fleeting, Chalkdust regulars are not.