You will need
- rubber bands
1. Cut out a card circle whose diameter is the length of an unstretched rubber
band. Use pins to attach everything together, as shown above.
2. Drag the lower rubber band around to investigate catastrophe theory.
You might also like…
- Surprise yourself by making this thing
- Swing on a magnetic pendulum into our latest issue. Topological tic-tac-toe, maths, cake, categories, plus all your favourite regulars.
- Win £100 of Maths Gear goodies by solving our famously fiendish crossnumber
- See what we're doing this October to promote and celebrate diversity in mathematics
- Are you perfect or imaginary? Are you a square?
- Village fetes, Brexit and flowers are among the topics of discussion in this issue's Dear Dirichlet advice column