Maths is a fickle world. Stay à la mode with our guide to the latest trends.
HOT Maths memes
Even better if they’re royalty-free images, because it’s not cool to steal other folks’ cartoon-based work
Used to be full of fun maths; now full of people declaring the end of the world. Sad!
HOT Schrödinger’s cat
NOT Schrödinger’s cat
It definitely gets our vote. Stats can totally help with elections and referenda
NOT Getting it wrong
Rising star of the Greek alphabet (apart from *) and its capital looks like a diving whale
NOT Lowercase V
Not even its own letter vntil 1386
HOT Pont Saint-Bénézet
Satisfies the Euler characteristic despite being old and unfinis—
[Picture: Chiugoran, CC BY-SA 3.0]
NOT Bridges of Königsberg
So many better ways of drawing a house these days
Because solids of constant width aren’t edgy enough
[Picture: Royal Mint under their fair use licence]
NOT Solids of constant width
Roll over, 20p and 50p (while preserving your width), there’s a new quid on the block!
- Agree? Disagree? Let us know on Twitter @chalkdustmag, at facebook.com/chalkdustmag or at email@example.com
You might also like…
- What have we been up to this year?
- As the festive season strikes again, we'll be dishing out more fiendish puzzles – this time with prizes!
- Cardioids in coffee cups, counting with three fingers, and breakfast at Villani's.Plus the return of all your favourite fun pages.
- Win £100 of Maths Gear goodies by solving our famously fiendish crossnumber
- Prof. Dirichlet tackles archaeology and supercomputers in answering your personal problems
- "R" you a Matlab or a Python? Fortran or Mathematica? Find out which package suits you best.