Maths is a fickle world. Stay à la mode with our guide to the latest trends.
HOT Maths memes
Even better if they’re royalty-free images, because it’s not cool to steal other folks’ cartoon-based work
Used to be full of fun maths; now full of people declaring the end of the world. Sad!
HOT Schrödinger’s cat
NOT Schrödinger’s cat
It definitely gets our vote. Stats can totally help with elections and referenda
NOT Getting it wrong
Rising star of the Greek alphabet (apart from *) and its capital looks like a diving whale
NOT Lowercase V
Not even its own letter vntil 1386
HOT Pont Saint-Bénézet
Satisfies the Euler characteristic despite being old and unfinis—
[Picture: Chiugoran, CC BY-SA 3.0]
NOT Bridges of Königsberg
So many better ways of drawing a house these days
Because solids of constant width aren’t edgy enough
[Picture: Royal Mint under their fair use licence]
NOT Solids of constant width
Roll over, 20p and 50p (while preserving your width), there’s a new quid on the block!
- Agree? Disagree? Let us know on Twitter @chalkdustmag, at facebook.com/chalkdustmag or at firstname.lastname@example.org
More from Chalkdust
- Humbug sets the fourth puzzle. Can you solve it?
- Space-filling curves, cheating at cards and automated joke generation feature in our latest edition. Plus all your favourite puzzles & columns.
- Celebrate the launch of issue 11 by taking part in our puzzle hunt
- £100 of MathsGear goodies to be won if you can solve it
- Are you a torus? A cone? Ed Spheran? Find out by answering a maximum of five easy questions
- Grant applications, musical media and last-minute Olympics training are the topics readers have sent in to the professor's postbox this issue