Maths is a fickle world. Stay à la mode with our guide to the latest trends.
Everywhere now, including the Times and of course, Chalkdust Issue 06.
[Picture: Héctor Rodriguez, CC BY-NC 2.0]
They’re all exactly the same. I say su-no-ku
HOT Grade 9
If you find the new grades confusing, just remember the conservation of grade law:
new GCSE + O-level = 10.
NOT Grade A*
Who collects these any more? About as current as Pokémon Go.
HOT Hacker camps
A long weekend of talks, workshops, fire pong and a cocktail-making robot? Count me in!
[Picture: Sheila Thomson, CC BY 2.0]
NOT Music festivals
Great place to lose your phone while having a rubbish time.
HOT Law of Australia
The only law that applies in Australia
[Picture: Wikimedia Commons user Dellex, CC BY-SA 3.0]
NOT Laws of mathematics
“Very commendable” but not good enough.
HOT Rule 30
As seen at Cambridge North station.
[Picture: Hugh Venables, CC BY-SA 2.0]
NOT Game of life
As seen at no stations
HOT String theory
A great field that proves that physics is (occasionally) not terrible
KNOT Knot theory
What happens when string theory gets tangled.
- Agree? Disagree? Let us know on Twitter @chalkdustmag, at facebook.com/chalkdustmag or at email@example.com
You might also like…
- Win a DVD boxset from Festival of the spoken nerd in our first Christmas competition!
- A podcast for the mathematically curious
- Surprise yourself by making this thing
- Swing on a magnetic pendulum into our latest issue. Topological tic-tac-toe, maths, cake, categories, plus all your favourite regulars.
- Win £100 of Maths Gear goodies by solving our famously fiendish crossnumber
- See what we're doing this October to promote and celebrate diversity in mathematics