It’s time to anounce the shortlist for the Chalkdust Magazine Book of the Year award. One maths book that was published in 2022 will be joining Kit Yates’s The Maths of Life and Death, Eugenia Cheng & Aleksandra Artymowska’s Molly and the Mathematical Mystery, and Lara Alcock’s How to Think about Abstract Algebra by receiving this prestigious award.
Additionally, you—our readers—can vote for your favourite book on the shortlist, by completing the poll at the bottom of this page.
We have picked seven maths-themed books released in 2022 to be on our shortlist for the prize. These are (in alphabetical order):
- The Irrational Diary of Clara Valentine by Coralie Colmez
- Peculiar Deaths of Famous Mathematicians by Ioanna Georgiou and Asuka Young
- A Ring of Cats and Dogs (and Other Curious Puzzles) by Daniel Griller
- Math Games with Bad Drawings by Ben Orlin
- An Introduction to the Math of Voting Methods by Brendan W Sullivan
- Escape from Model Land by Erica Thompson
- Beyond Measure by James Vincent
- Congruent Triangles by X and Y
These books are all very good, but we can only pick one winner of the prize. Over the course of the next few weeks, we will be posting reviews of each of these books, including notes relating to our four judging criteria—style, control, damage, and aggression.
Lines are now open for you to vote for your favourite book on the shortlist (see below). Voting closes on Saturday 31 March 2023.
The winner of the Chalkdust Magazine Book of the Year 2022, plus the winner of our readers’ vote, will be announced in issue 17.
What is your favourite book on the 2022 Book of the Year shortlist?
- An Introduction to the Math of Voting Methods by Brendan W Sullivan (44%, 101 Votes)
- Peculiar Deaths of Famous Mathematicians by Ionna Georgiou and Asuka Young (19%, 44 Votes)
- Congruent Triangles by X and Y (15%, 35 Votes)
- Escape from Model Land by Erica Thompson (8%, 18 Votes)
- Math Games with Bad Drawings by Ben Orlin (7%, 16 Votes)
- A Ring of Cats and Dogs (and Other Curious Puzzles) by Daniel Griller (7%, 15 Votes)
- The Irrational Diary of Clara Valentine by Coralie Colmez (0%, 1 Votes)
- Beyond Measure by James Vincent (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 230
More from Chalkdust
- Penguins, prison and PDE patterns feature in our Spring 2023 issue. Plus all your favourite puzzles & columns.
- Canines, Cliff Richard and conditioning find their way into the prof's postbox this issue.
- Can you solve it?
- Just answer these EIGHT simple questions!
- The best and worst from this year's Met Gala
- Fashion is fleeting, Chalkdust regulars are not.