Be warned: this article is dark and full of spoilers.
One of the best parts of getting into a series is getting to know and love the main characters. However, in Game of Thrones (or A Song of Ice and Fire, for you purists), this can be a heart-breaking activity. Who will survive to the end and who will bite the dust? No one knows, but perhaps maths can lend a hand.
Andrew Beveridge and Jie Shan used network theory to investigate who the main characters of Game of Thrones are. The diagram above shows all the interactions between characters during the seventh series: the larger characters are more central, as determined by the PageRank algorithm.
However, it only takes one swing of an axe to drastically change the network…
You might also like…
- Win £100 of Maths Gear goodies by solving our famously fiendish crossnumber
- Coffee, Brexit and badgers are among the topics of discussion in this issue's Dear Dirichlet advice column
- Mystic mug has some predictions for you...
- The definitive chart of the best Chalkdust regulars
- Your guide to creating the optimal homepage
- Fashion is fleeting, Chalkdust regulars are not.