This issue, Top Ten features the top ten mathematical symbols for use in algebra!
A new entry at 10, everyone’s least favourite axis… y!
At 9, allegedly resembling the British Rail logo… the not equals symbol!
The perpendicular symbol gets its angle just right this week at number 8!
A re-entry at 7: The Bee Gees with Much Less Than a woman.
It may be small but we love it: epsilon spends yet another week at number 6.
At 5, amid protests of plagiarism from alpha: the proportionality symbol.
Down two places to 4, showing it really belongs in the top ten, it’s… ∈!
Maybe its resemblance to sideburns makes it col: the floor symbol is at 3.
At 2, we’ve been searching for years and we still haven’t found it: it’s x!
And topping the charts, it’s a new entry. The perfect symbol to represent some upside down screaming: for all!
More from Chalkdust
- Penguins, prison and PDE patterns feature in our Spring 2023 issue. Plus all your favourite puzzles & columns.
- Canines, Cliff Richard and conditioning find their way into the prof's postbox this issue.
- Can you solve it?
- Just answer these EIGHT simple questions!
- The best and worst from this year's Met Gala
- Fashion is fleeting, Chalkdust regulars are not.